Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Language Barrier in Outsourcing

The following is a conversation between a British caller and an agent whose location is outside UK.

Alice: Hello! This is directory assistance. How can I help you?
Caller: Can you give me the number for the Vue Cinema on the High Street in Crewe?
Alice: I have the number for the Vue Cinema. We also offer cinema times and listings. Do you have a film in mind?
Caller: I dont need the listings. I just want to book a ticket.
Alice: I’ll give you the box office then. Can I connect you to that number?
Caller: No. Just put me through.
Alice: Huh?!

From this dialogue, the caller did not catch the question because of the agent's accent and yet he responded. This shows that language barrier is one of the biggest problems in outsourcing that is why voice and accent training is a must for all call centres.

No comments: